- Ph.D. Environmental Resource Development, Michigan State University
- M.A. Environmental Studies, Baylor University
- B.A. Environmental Studies/Sociology, St. Lawrence University
Associate University Librarian for Teaching, Research, and Learning Services at Penn Libraries. University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
Director, Teaching and Learning Interactive. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC.
- 2012: Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor, ITS-Teaching and Learning. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC.
Senior Instructional Designer. Elon University, Elon, NC.
Instructional Designer (online courses). World Campus, Penn State University, University Park, PA.
Project Lead (online courses). Virtual University, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
Web Development Specialist. Office of Grants and Technology, State of Michigan Department of Education.
Producer. CommTech Lab, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
Public Relations Associate. Taconic Resources, Albany, NY.
SCHOLARSHIPS, MEMBERSHIPS, AND AWARDS
- 2018 NMC Horizon Report for Higher Education, Expert Panel
- 2017 SPARC Innovator Award
- 2017 Institute for the Future - Foresight Practitioner
- 2016 Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning
- 2015 Leadership at Penn (Cohort 5)
- 2013 Leading Change Institute Fellow (formerly Frye Institute)
- 2011 Carolina Technology Consultants IT Award
- North Carolina Distance Learning Association Board
- OLC Faculty Development Advisory Board (formerly Sloan-C)
- 2007 ASTD Measuring and Evaluating Learning Certificate
- 2005 International Who’s Who of Professionals
- 2004 Certified MBTI Administrator, Center for the Applications of Psychological Type
- 2000 Bright Future Award, Department of Distance Education/World Campus, Penn State University,
- 1998 Dissertation Completion Fellowship, College of Agriculture & Natural Resources, Michigan State University
- 1996 Distinguished Graduate Service Award, Department of Resource Development, Michigan State University
- 1995 NSF Fellowship for Qualitative Research Field Methods, Department of Sociology, University of Georgia-Athen
PRESENTATIONS, PANELS AND WORKSHOPS
- Eke, K. (2017) Building Data Refuge: From Bucket Brigade to Sustainable Action. Panel presentation at CNI Spring Meeting (April 3-4, 2017)
- Eke, K. and L. Ragan (2017) ELI Leadership Seminar, Instigating Academic Transformation: Move the Needle. Presented during the ELI 2017 Annual Meeting in Houston, Texas (Feb. 13-15, 2017).
- Eke, K. (2016) Digital Fluencies: New Skills for a Changing Academy. Presented at CNI Fall Meeting in Washington, DC (December 12-13, 2016)
- Eke, K. (2016) Forces & Trends Shaping Higher Ed in 2016. Presented during the ELI 2016 Annual Meeting Pre-conference Workshop, "Powering the Innovation Engine" held in San Antonio, Texas (February 2, 2016)
- Eke, K. (2015) Learning Platforms: Common Threads & Future Directions. Co-sponsored by Information Technology Services, the Libraries, and the Teaching Effectiveness Committee at Lycoming College in Williamsport, PA. (March 17, 2015)
- Eke, K. (2015) Libraries as Catalysts for Academic Transformation. Poster presentation at Educause Learning Initiative conference. (February 9, 2015) Focus groups | Handout
- Eke, K. (2014) Penn Libraries Services for Teaching, Learning, and Beyond. University of Pennsylvania IT Convention. (November 17, 2014)
- Eke, K. (2014) Engaging Students through Technology: Opening Session. University of Pennsylvania. (October 31, 2014)
- Ragan, L. and K. Eke (2012) Managing Instructor Presence in the Online Classroom. Magna Publications, Madison, WI (November 7, 2012)
- Eke, K. (2012) The Future of Sakai at UNC: 2013 and Beyond. UNC Faculty Showcase, Chapel Hill, NC (November 2, 2012).
- Eke, K. (2012) Make Your Migration to Sakai Magically Delicious: UNC's Story. 2012 Jasig Sakai Conference (June 10-14).
- Eke, K. and J. Hays (2012) Teaching with Sakai Webinar Series Recap & Review. 2012 Jasig Sakai Conference (June 10-14).
- Ragan, L. and K. Eke (2012) Being There: Establishing and Maintaining Online Teaching Presence. Teaching Professor Conference (June 1-3).
- Eke, K. and M. Perrone (2011) Resisting Change: If It's Futile, Why Do So Many People Do It? Sakai Conference 2011 (June 14-16).
- Eke, K. (2011) How to Support Sakai with No New Staff or Money. Sakai Conference 2011 (June 14-16).
- Eke, K. and C. MacAllister (2010) Blended Course Design Made Easy: 3 Simple Steps to Success. 16th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning (November 3-5).
- Eke, K. and M. Bell (2010) Click, Play, Rewind, Remember: Learning Technologies at UNC. CTC Retreat, UNC-Chapel Hill. [Live site]
- Eke, K. (2010) Make Your Pilot a Purple Cow: Something Worth Talking About. Sakai Conference 2010 (June 15-17)
- Eke, K. (2009) Using Multimedia to Create Engaging Learning Experiences. ThinkTank '09 (June 1).
- Eke, K. and M. Bell (2009) Using Multimedia to Enhance Student Engagement. NC Distance Learning Association Conference (April 28)
- Eke, K. (2008) Multimedia Simulations. University of North Carolina Distance Learning Forum (December 10).
- Eke, K., Gordon, T., Clouser, S., Watson, C., and Fenlason, C. (2008) Planning, Pilot Programs, and Production: A Panel. Sakai Regional Conference at Virginia Tech (November 11-12), Blacksburg, VA.
- Eke, K. and Collado, A. (2008) Learning Management Systems at UNC Chapel Hill. UNC-Chapel Hill Carolina Technology Consultants Annual Retreat (October 17), Chapel Hill, NC.
- Eke, K. and Green, C. (2008). Using Clickstream Analysis to Make Learning Visible. Educause Learning Initiative Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Eke, K. and Evans, E. (2007). Games. Seriously. UNC-Chapel Hill Carolina Technology Consultants Annual Retreat, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Eke, K. and Green, C. (2007). Future Content: Designing Instructional Materials for the Digital Native. Educause Learning Initiative Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA.
- Eke, K. (2007). Considering Alternatives to Commercial Learning Management Systems (panel). Teaching and Learning with Technology Conference: Building Connections, Raleigh, NC.
- Eke, K. and Crabb, C. (2006). Instructional designers as change agents. Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, Greensboro, NC.
- Eke, K. and Stasz, B. (2005). On the Other Side of the Digital Divide: A Technology Case Study from Uzbekistan. Georgia Conference on Information Literacy, Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, GA.
- Eke, K. (2005). Creating interactive multimedia PowerPoint presentations. Invited presentation, Burlington Day School, Burlington, NC.
- Eke, K. (2005). Why use digital video? Workshop presenter for Winter Term Faculty Development Workshop: Millennial Learners, Elon University, Elon, NC.
- Eke, K. (2004). Integrating DV into your classes. Workshop presenter for Summer Faculty Development Workshop: Intensive Multimedia, Elon University, Elon, NC.
- Eke, K. (2004). Dreamweaver for the fearless: creating web sites to support instruction. Workshop presenter for Summer Faculty Development Workshop: Intensive Multimedia, Elon University, Elon, NC.
- Eke, K. and Crabb, C. (2004). Using digital portfolios in assessment. Workshop presenter for faculty development workshop, Elon University, Elon, NC.
- Eke, K. (2003). Stellar presentations. Workshop presenter for faculty development workshop, Elon University, Elon, NC.
- Eke, K. (2003). A blueprint for successful web sites: information architecture and web design. Presentation at the Web 2003 Conference for Penn State Web Professionals, University Park, PA.
- Eke, K. and S. Rocco. (2002). Less is more: designing for usability and accessibility. Workshop presenter, 18th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning, Madison, WI.
- Rocco, S., Eke, K., Hackenberger, L. and Holsing, C. (2002). Much ado about usability. Paper presentation at the 18th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning, Madison, WI.
- Eke, K. (2001). Less is more: what the web research tells us. Workshop presenter at the 2001 Penn State Faculty Summerfest, University Park, PA.
COURSES TAUGHTElon University:
- SOC 370A: Environmental Sociology (designed new course for the university; blended)
- IST 6782: Functional Web Site Design (co-designed new course for the university)
- IST 6735: Overview of Internet Technologies
- IST 6731: Introduction to HTML (1)
- IST 6732: Introduction to HTML (2)
- RD 200: Issues and Applications in Resource Development
- RD 491: Computer Technologies in the Workplace (designed new course for the university; hybrid)
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AND CONSULTING
- Consultant/faculty (2012). Magna Publications. Maintaining Your Online Teaching Presence.
- Consultant/faculty (2010 & 2011). Academic Impressions. Faculty Development in Blended and Online Learning.
- Consultant (2010). Midlands Technical College. Faculty Development Workshop: Blended Course Design.
- Consultant/faculty (2008). Academic Impressions. Applying Emerging Technologies.
- Instructional Technology Consultant (2005 & 2006). Academy for Educational Development/Global Education, U.S. Agency for International Development and the Republic of Uzbekistan Ministry of Education, Washington D.C. and Tashkent, Uzbekistan. PEAKS Project.
- Instructional Technology Consultant (2005). Burlington Day School, Burlington, NC.
- Instructional Technology Consultant (1998). Ingham County Public Schools, Lansing, MI.
PUBLICATIONS & BLOGS
- PennImmersive (2017)
- Sakai Blog @ UNC-Chapel Hill (2008-2013)
- Eke, K. (2008, November). Using clickstream recording to make learning visible. Online classroom: ideas for effective online instruction [Newsletter], 3-7
- Rocco, S., Eke, K., Hackenberger, L. and Holsing, C. (2002). Much ado about usability. 18th Annual Conference on Distance Teaching and Learning Proceedings. Madison, WI.
SPONSORED RESEARCH AND ACTIVITIES
- Eke, K. (team member, public education program design), Radon Assessment Program, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Environmental Studies, Baylor University, 1989